Ganesh Utav is celebrated all over India . During Ganesh Ustav families will keep their new idol for 3 , 5 , 10 days.In our family only eldest in the family will keep new Idol every year for 10 days and all others will do pooja and neivadiam for 10 days at there places.
This is what i have prepared for neivadiam for the first day.Vada , Semiya Payasam, KalaChanna Sundal, Suhiyan and Puliyarsadam
Here's the recipe for the MIL's Suhiyan and Puliyarsadam
Channa Dal - 1/4 cup
Gratted jaggery - 1/4 cup
Cardamon Pw - 1/2 tsp
Ghee - 1 tsp
All purpose flour - 1/4 cup
Water as needed
salt to taste
Oil for frying
1. Cook channa dal with little water in pressure cooker till done but not mushy.
2. Keep the cooked dal in a seive and let all water drain.
3. Add dal, cardamon pw, jaggery to a food processor and pulse it few times.
4. Heat ghee in a pan , add the mixture , mix and cook till all moisture is dried.
5. Keep a side to cool and when cooled make small balls.
6. Mix salt and flour and make a thick pancake like batter adding little water at a time.
7. Heat oil to 350 F in a deep pan.
8. Dip the dal ball in batter and deep fry till golden.
Puliyarsadam / Tamarind Rice
Cooked Rice - 2 cup
Tamarind - small lemon sized ball
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Whole - 6
Groundnut - 2 tbsp
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Channa Dal - 1 tsp
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Jaggery - 2 or 3 tbsp ( i added this but she will not so its optional)
Curry Leaves - a sprig
Oil - 2 tbsp
1. Soak tamarind in warm water and mash and extract the take pulp.
2. Heat oil and add hing and mustard and let it pop.
3. Add ground nut , chilli, curry leaves , urad and channa dal and cook till ground nut is done.
4. Now add tamarind pulp ,jaggery and cook till everything comes to chutney like consistency.
5. Add salt and let the mixture cool.
6. Mix the rice and tamarind mixture and rice is ready to serve.