Thenga aracha curry is a Kerala home staple. Thenga aracha curry means vegetable cooked in coconut gravy . Today's recipe is raw mango and drumsticks cooked in coconut gravy. Any firm vegetable can be used. Drumsticks is my favorite which gives the curry a very unique flavor. You will use some kind of souring agent in this gravy .Traditionally it is tamarind ,mango ,nellipuli etc. Mordern recipes use tomato too as souring agent.Today i have used raw mango.
Raw Mango/Manga - 1/4 of a very sour mango , chopped
Coconut - 1/4 cup , freshly grated
Hot Green Chili - 2
Curry leaves - a spring
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seed - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Mustard - 1/4 tsp
Dry Chili - 2
Pearl Onion - 4 , chopped finely
Curry Leaves - a few
Red Chili Powder - 1/4 tsp
Coconut Oil - 2 tsp
- Take drumstick , mango , curry leaves ,green chili , salt and one cup water in a saucepan.
- Cook till drumsticks are tender and keep aside.
- Grind coconut , turmeric , cumin , green chili and few curry leaves to a fine paste.
- Now add the paste to cooked drumstick and mango.
- And simmer on low for 3-4 minutes.
- In the mean time heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When mustard starts popping add the dry chili, curry leaves, and onion .
- Cook till the onion turns golden add the chili powder .
- And pour over the simmering curry and remove from fire.
- Serve with rice and papadam.