Gram flour is made from ground chickpeas or chana dal. It is also known as chickpea flour, garbanzo flour, or besan. Besan has high proportion of carbhohydates but in comparison with other flous have relatively high proportion of protein. It is gluten free too. Puda / chilla), a pancake made with gram flour batter, is a popular breakfast item of uttarpradesh.
Besan/Chick Pea flour - 1 cup
Lauki /Bottle Gourd /OPO squash - 1/4 cup (optional)
Onion - 1/4 cup , finely chopped
Green Chili - 2 , finely chopped
Tomato - 2 tbsp , finely chopped , seedless
Coriander Leaves - 1/4 cup ,finely chopped
Chat Masala - 1 1/2 tsp
Roasted Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste .
Ghee/ Oil - 1/4 cup
Water - 1/2 cup (use 3/4 cup if not using lauki)
Mix everything except oil together and leave aside for half an hour
- Heat a griddle and pour a small ladle full of batter on it .
- Spread it to desired thickness using a spoon.
- Pour oil over the puda/pancake and around the sides.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes .
- Check the under side of puma/pancake should be golden.
- If not golden yet , cook uncovered for another few minutes.
- Flip and cook the otherside too till golden spot appears on it.
- Serve hot with Pickle and yogurt.