HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
I found the recipe for this cake in GoodHouseKeeping Mar09 Issue. The original recipe is for strawberry shortcake.I had baked the cake y'day and thought of using the strawberries that i had frozen during summer for frosting . But when i saw the thawed berries in the afternoon i didn't felt i using it . Then i saw the pomegranate in the fruit basket and decided to use it instead.Since the seeds are pomegranate is something i don't like much so just used it for decoration and in between two layers of cake i used reduced POM juice.
ShortCake(Original Recipe GHK Mar 09):
Orange - 1
Unsalted Butter - 1 cup
Sugar - 2 cup
AP Flour - 2 cup
Egg - 5 large
Pomegranate Seed 1/4 cup
Sugar - 1 tbsp
Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
Whipping Cream - 1 cup
POM Juice - 1 Cup
1. Position rack in the center of oven and preheat oven at 350 F.
2. Grease two 9 inch round cake pans dust with flour, tapping out the excess set aside.
3. Prepare Shortcake :
- 3.1. From Orange grate 2 tbsp peel and 3 tbsp juice.
- 3.2. With electric mixer on medim high speed beat butter until pale yellow.
- 3.3. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- 3.4. Reduce speed to low,add flour and mix until just blended.
- 3.5. Add orange peel,juice and one egg at a time,beat well after each addition.
- 3.6. Divide the batter into equal portion into the prepared pans.
- 3.7. Bake 25 min or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 3.8. Cool cakes in pans on wire rack for 20 min.
- 3.9 Invert layer onto racks ,carefully peel off the wax paper and cool completely.
4. Prepare Filling :
- 4.1.In a pan reduce the POM juice to half and set aside to cool.
5. Assemble the Cake :
- 5.1. In a bowl whip cream with vanilla and sugar .
- 5.2. Place a layer of cake ,rounded sides up and spoon the reduced pom juice .
- 5.3. Spread quarter of whipped cream over it.
- 5.4. Top on with remaining cake layer.
- 5.5. Spread half of pomegranate seeds and rest of remaining cream.
- 5.6. Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
- 5.5. Serve immediately or refrigerate upto 4 hours before serving.