Corn is a staple in Punjab specially during winter months. Makki ki roti and sarso ka saag is a very famous punjabi combo.Makki ki roti is made using the yellow corn meal we get in indian store and it tastes different form the mexican version of white corn meal (masa) we see in American shops. I like to eat makkai ki roti with butter and mango pickle .
This recipe is from my Punjabi friend and i just love it.
Yellow Corn Flour - 2 cups
White Radish/Muli - 1/2 cup grated
Onion - 1/4 finely chopped
Green Chili - 2 tsp ,finely chopped
Kasuri Methi - 1 tbsp
Warm water - 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Butter - 1/4 cup
Step I : Dough
- Heat a pan and lightly roast the flour for 5 minutes.
- Mix everything together and slowly add just enough water to bind the dough.
- Need the dough well for 5 minutes and leaves aside for 10 minutes.
Step II : Roti Making
- Take two piece of big zip lock bag or parchment paper.
- Take a golf size ball of the dough .
- Place on a piece of plastic/parchment.
- And cover it with other piece of plastic/parchment.
- And using rolling pin roll to a 1/4 inch thick roti.
- Heat the griddle.
- Remove the top plastic .
- Lift the second one in the palm of ur right hand .
- Put on griddle with roti side down and peel the plastic.
- Cook one side for few minutes and check for brown spots.
- Flip and cook this side till brown spots appear.
- Apply butter to top side and flip and cook for few minute.
- Apply butter on the new top side and flip again a.
- Cook for a few side and remove.