Bitter Melon is a medicinal vegetable used in South East Asian cooking . Its very good for controlling blood sugar so very good for diabetic people. In India people drink bitter melon juice every day empty stomach to keep blood sugar level in control. As the same suggests it is bitter in taste but very earthy in flavor. Everyone hates it as a kid and grown up loves it .This is my moms recipes and its so simple and quick and love it with chappati and rice.
Bitter Gourd / Karela Sliced - 2 cups , Slit into half , remove the seeds and slice thin
Onion - 1/2 cup , sliced thin
Hot Green Chilli - 5 , slit into half
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Lemon Juice - 2 tsp
- Wash and slit the bitter gourd into half , remove the seeds and slice thin.
- Add salt , turmeric and lemon juice to the sliced gourd and mix well.
- Keep it aside for an hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Heat oil and add the sliced onion , slit green chilli and bitter gourd.
- Cook on medium heat for 15- 20 minutes keep mixing now and then.
- And serve with rice or chappati.