For this blog hop i cooked from a wonderful blog santoshbangar.blogspot.com . I loved santoshji's bittergourd recipe and thought of cooking it for the family today. I modified the original recipe a bit to my family's taste but used the same masala's as santoshji has in her recipe.
Recipe Source : santoshbangar.blogspot.com
Bitter Gourd - 2 , sliced thin into 3 inch long pieces (about 2 cups)
Onion - 1 , sliced thin (about 1 cup)
Coriander Powder - 3/4 tsp
Chili Powder - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Dry Mango Powder - 1/4 tsp ( OR 2 tsp lemon juice)
Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek /Methi Seed - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
- Heat oil and add the methi seeds.
- Add coriander, chili,turmeric powder and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add sliced bitter gourd and salt .
- Cover and cook for about 5 minutes by mixing it now and then .
- By now bitter gourd should be half done .
- Add the onion and cook till onion is golden.
- Check if bitter gourd is tender too .
- Now add garam masala and mango powder and mix well.
- Serve with roti or paratha.
PS : Peel bittergourd. Rub salt and leave for one hour. Wash and wipe dry and use it in the curry if you want to reduce the bitterness of Karela.
I'm sending this entry to "Blog-Hop-Wednesdays" at tickling palates.