After all eating out , get togethers and potlucks during all of last week i was craving for something simple. I absolutely loved all the food i ate out and learned many recipes from friends.But needed my rasam ,rice and papadam after all the rich foods. I call this south indian soup and whenever i have served this as soup everybody loved it.
This tomato rasam is usual recipe except that i used water from canned tomato. During summer i canned tomatoes and has been using it all through out the fall and winter. After using up tomatoes in curries i use the leftover water in jar to make this yummy rasam. As tomatoes are home canned , this water has nothing but water ,salt and lemon juice.
Canned Tomato Water - 3/4 cup
Water - 1 to 1 1/2 cup
Garlic cloves - 5 crushed well
Turmeric Pw - 1/4 tsp
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Rasam Powder :
Toor Dal - 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Whole red chili - a few
Curry Leaves - a few
Coriander Leaves - 1 tbsp chopped.
Hing - 1/4 tsp
1. Roast toor dal, urad dal , pepper and cumin separately until aromatic.
2. Cool everything , powder it and keep aside.
3. Add one cup of plain water and 1/2 tsp of salt to tomato water and mix well .
4. Taste for sourness and add more water to adjust the sourness and salt too if needed.
5. Add the crushed garlic , turmeric , hing , rasam powder to the mixture.
6. Let everything simmer for 15 - 20 minutes .
7. Add coriander leaves to simmering mixture and switch of the flame.
8. Heat oil and add mustard seeds .
9. When it starts popping add cumin.
10. Add curry leaves , whole red chilli and cook for a minute or so.
11. Pour everything into the water mixture ,cover it .
12. Enjoy with rice and papadam