When ever i have to cook meat or poultry i usually gravitate towards whole spices. Any thing that has to be cooked low and slow ,whole spices are perfect partner .It gives spices the time to flavor the gravy.I prefer bone in piece of meat specially drumstick.But can use any cut of chicken.
Chicken Drumsticks - 12, skinned
Onion - one small
Ginger - 2 '' piece
Garlic - 5 cloves
Tomato - 2 medium size
Indian Bay leaves - 2
Cardamom - 5
Cloves - 5
Cinnamon Stick - 2'' piece
Fennel seeds - 3/4 tsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
Chili Pw - 2 tsp
Coriander Pw - 1 tsp
Kerala Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Black Pepper pw - 1/2 tsp
1. Grind onion ,ginger garlic to smooth paste .
2. Grind tomato to a smooth puree.
3. Heat oil and add bay leaf, cardamom,fennel,cinnamon,cloves.
4. Add onion paste and cook till oil separates.
5. Add chili , turmeric,coriander powder and cook for a minute.
6. Add tomato puree and cook till oil separates.
7. Add chicken and mix well and cover and cook.
8. Mix light handedly now and then and let chicken cook low and slow.
9. When chicken is cooked well add garam masala,pepper powder and mix well.
10. Switch of flame and garnish with coriander leaves.