Chole or Channa is a important source of protein in the vegetarian diet and it has low glycemic index too. Kala channa is considered to be more nutritious than white . Here for this recipe i have used white channa ,which is also called chole in North India.You will see this recipe as channa masala in South Indian resturant menu and as chole masala in North Indian resturant menu. If you have time and patience you would love the taste of Anupy Singla's chole masala from her book "Vegan Indian Cooking". Use this masala just like you use store brought chole masala but you need not use garam masala .
For Chole Masala Powder
Cumin seeds - 1/4 cup ,24g
Coriander seeds - 1/4 cup, 20g
Dried pomegranate seeds - 1/4 cup , 28g
Black mustard seeds - 2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 2 tsp
Cloves - 10
Black cardamom - 2 pods
Green cardamom - 4 pods
Cinnamon sticks - 3 ( 3 inch ,7.5 cm)
Carom seeds - 1 tsp
Whole black pepper - 1 tbsp
Cassia leaves - 5 medium
Red chilli Whole - 10
Fenugreek Leaves dried - 1 tbsp
Mango powder- 2 tbsp
Ground ginger - 1 tbsp
Black salt - 1 tbsp
- Dry roast all the whole spices for about 4 minutes .
- Transfer to a plate and cool and grind to fine powder.
- Mix in mango powder , ginger and black salt.
- Store in air tight container for upto six months.
White Chickpeas - 4 cups (792g), cooked
Water - 1 cup
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chana masala - 2 tbsp
Red Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coarse sea salt - 1 tbsp
Onion - 2 cups , 300g , chopped fine
Ginger -1 (2 inch , 5 cm) , grated
Garlic - 4 cloves, grated(optional)
Tomato - 2 cups (320 g), chopped fine
Green Chili - 1-3
- In a deep heavy pan , heat oil over medium heat.
- Add cumin , turmeric and chana masala and cook for 30 sec.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic , cook for a minute.
- Add chilli powder , tomatoes and green chili .
- Cook till tomatoes are well cooked and till oil separates.
- Add chickpeas and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with roti or rice.