Kovvaka is called tendli,kunduru,tindora etc in hindi. This simple preparation of mom's is one of my favorite. Kovvaka has to be very tender. We used to love to take it with paratha to school in our lunch boxes. But goes well with sambar rice or curd rice.
I remember a unique think told about this plant , you see most of the homes in kerala grows this vegetable . it is a vine and it is said that if lamb eats the plant the kovvaka on the plant turns bitter :).
Tender Kovvaka - 2 cups ,diced into thin rounds
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Pw - 1/4 tsp
Hot Green Chilli - 3-4 ,slit into halves
Curry leaves - a few
Salt to taste
- Heat oil and pop the mustard.
- Add slit green chili and curry leaves .
- Mix well and now add turmeric and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add kovvaka and cook oh high for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add salt to taste and mix well.
- And now cook on medium till kovvaka is tender.