In malayali homes a thoran and a mezhukvaraati is cooked everyday with some kind of gravy like sambar , mor curry , thenga araccha curry , meen curry etc and boiled rice is must. But we don't cook like that anymore , and moreover our mothers used to masters of one regional cuisine and we all are more or less cosmopolitan in our cooking style. But then there are certain days when i feel like having a malayali meal and on those days i surely prepare some kind of thoran . Its made with all kind of vegetables and pulses. Its mild and coconut and cumin is the most important ingredient but then based on the vegetable used there can be some special spice addition. Todays thoran is french beans thoran.
Beans - 1 1/2 cup, chopped fine
Onion - 1/4 cup , chopped fine
Hot Green Chilli - 1/2 tsp, chopped fine
Turmeric Pw - 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 tsp (optional)
Coconut - 1/4 cup , gratted
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil and mustard seeds and let it pop.
2. Add dal, onion and green chilli and cook till onion is translucent.
3. In the meantime crush the cumin seeds and coconut in mortar .
4. Add it to onion and mix well for few seconds..
6. Add beans , turmeric , salt and sprinkle a tbsp water and mix well.
7. Cover and cook for 3 minutes on medium and mix well.
8. Uncover and cook for few more minutes and serve it as side .
I love to mix it up with rice and a little kudumanga pickle water and enjoy.