Maharastrian usal is very versatile and nutritious preparation. Usal can be served for any meal of the day .This is one of my favorite maharastrian dishes. I cannot say how authentic my recipe is but i can sure say my family likes it .It can be served with pav , paratha or roti. Tastes good by itself too as a evening snack just sprinkle some sev over it .Usal i think is like sundal can be prepared with moong,moth,whole masoor etc.
Moong - 1 cup soaked and sprouted(sprouting is optional)
Onion - 1/2 cup chopped fine
Hot Green Chilli - 1 tsp chopped fine
Oil - 1 tbsp
Hing - 1/8 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Turmeric - 1/8 tsp
Red Chili Pw - 3/4 tsp
Dhania Jeera Pw - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Amchur Pw - 1/4 tsp
Lemon Juice to taste
Salt to taste
Coriander Leaves - 2 tbsp chopped fine
Fresh Pomegranate Seeds - 2 tbsp (optional)
1. Wash and soak 1/2 cup of moong overnight
2. And sprout it.Sprouting is optional but sure adds to the nutritional value.
3. Heat oil add hing , mustard and cumin.
4. When mustard pops add ginger garlic paste and cook for two minutes.
5. Add onion and cook till golden.
6. Add turmeric , chilli pw , dhania jeera pw and cook for a sec.
7. Add sprouted moong and 3/4 cup of water.
8. Add salt , garam masala and amchur pw .
9. Cover and cook till the moong is tender but not mushy.
10. Add lemon juice to taste and mix well.
11. Before serving add chopped onion ,coriander leaves and pomegranate seeds.