Urad dal is one of the priced dals of India and Andra is one of the biggest producer. Used a lot in entire south india in preparations like idli , dosa and vada. But punjab's use it lot too in preparations like maah ki dal and dal makhni. Urad dal vada is prepared all over India. Vada with a center hole is the trade mark of south indian urad dal vada . But north india vada is made without a hole. Dahi vada is a integral part of north indian feasts. Dahi vada is sometimes stuffed with nuts and dry fruits.
For Vada :
Urad Dal - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
Curd - 5 cup
Water - 2 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Red Chili Powder - 2 tbsp
Roasted Cumin Powder - 2 tbsp
Tamarind Chutney - 1/2 cup
- Soak the urad dal for 45 min - 1 hrs.
- Grind it to a smooth paste using 1/4 cup water.
- Fluff the batter well using a hand or electric whisk.
- Drop a small bit of dough into a bowl of water and check if it floats.
- If the batter floats it is ready to to be deep fried.
- Heat 5 liters of water and add 2- 3 tbsp salt. and keep it warm
- Heat oil to 350 F and drop small balls of batter .
- Deep fry till golden and drop in salted warm water.
- Mix salt, sugar, water and curd and whisk well.
- Take the vadas out from salted water .
- Press the vada between the palm and squeeze out the water.
- Arrange the vadas on in a deep tray and pour the curd over it.
- Sprinkle with chilli and roasted cumin powder.
- And pour the the tamarind chutney.
- Chill and serve.