I love barbatti/ chinese long beans. It is a very common vegetable in kerala cooking . It is called ACHINGYA PAYAR . My cooks barbatti in combination with potato and raw banana . She calls the stir fry ollath . This combo of barbatti and aloo with fennel seed is my aunt - in -laws recipe .She said she learned it from her friend. When i tried the barbatti ki sabzi at their place during this India visit and loved it requested her to give me the recipe. Next day i tried this recipe at her place under her guidance and noted it down :).
i have posted a few other barbatti recipes together under one post Achinya / Barbatti / Long Beans Recipes
Barbatti / Long beans - 5 cups
Aloo - 2 , medium sized
Onion - 1/2 cup
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Fennel - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1/4 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
- Wash and cut long beans / barbatti into 11/2 inch long beans .
- Wash potato and slice into four half and slice into 1/8 inch pieces.
- Heat oil and add fennel seeds and after 30 secs add onion.
- When onion turns translucent add ginger garlic paste.
- Cook for another 30 secs on low heat .
- Add coriander , chili , turmeric powder and mix well.
- Bring heat to medium and add barbatti , potato salt . and add water .
- Mix well and cook for a few minutes and add water.
- Cover and cook the vegetable till barbatti is tender.
- Uncover and let the water dry out fully.
- When ready serve with roti.