Barbatti Aloo with Saouf tadka /Chinese Long beans and Potato cooked with fennel seeds

I love barbatti/ chinese long beans. It is a very common vegetable in kerala cooking . It is called ACHINGYA PAYAR . My cooks barbatti in  combination with potato and raw banana . She calls the stir fry ollath . This combo of barbatti and aloo with fennel seed is my aunt - in -laws recipe .She said she learned it from her friend. When i tried the barbatti ki sabzi at their place during this India visit and loved it requested her to give me the recipe. Next day i tried this recipe  at her place under her guidance and noted it down :).

i have posted a few other barbatti recipes together under one post Achinya / Barbatti / Long Beans Recipes

Barbatti / Long beans  - 5 cups
Aloo - 2 , medium sized
Onion - 1/2 cup
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Fennel -  1 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1/4 cup
Water - 1/2 cup

  1. Wash and cut long beans / barbatti into 11/2 inch long beans .
  2. Wash potato and slice into four half  and slice into 1/8 inch pieces.
  3. Heat oil and add fennel seeds and after 30 secs add onion.
  4. When onion turns translucent add ginger garlic paste.
  5. Cook for another 30 secs  on low heat .
  6. Add  coriander , chili , turmeric powder  and mix well.
  7. Bring heat to medium and add barbatti , potato  salt . and add water .
  8. Mix well and cook for a few minutes and add water.
  9. Cover and cook the vegetable  till barbatti is tender.
  10. Uncover and let the water dry out fully.
  11. When ready serve with roti.

10 comments:

  1. i have never tried fennel seed in barbatti...will try it...looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbati subzi looks great. excellent preparation.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple but superb presentation, soon I will prepare aloo barbati according to you.

    today's post:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2013/05/pabda-tel-bori-jhol-lentil-dumplings-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flavourful subzi,excellent pair for rotis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks great love the different vegetables you used

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nisha
    It's a very old recipe of mine when I just started blogging . At that time i didnt know much about blogging and post my recipes with google images I was unaware that the pic belongs to your blog and Perhaps I took it from google images . I am in the process of changing my old pics with original one's . For the time being if you want I can give image courtesy link or delete the pic. I really apologize for any inconvenience caused. I working hard on my blog to provide original and innovative recipes. Thanks for letting me know. Regards

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow..u've many beans recipe..this one extremely appetizing n am drooling over here

    ReplyDelete