Drumstick leaves is very nutritious and tasty. It has more calcium than milk and is good source of other nutrients .It is versatile and can be cooked with dal , cooked in coconut gravy or sauteed with coconut.
Drumstick leaves - 2 cups
Coconut - 1/4 cup , grated
Moong Dal - 1/4 cup , soaked for an hour
Shallots - 2 , chopped small
Green Chilli - 5
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
- Coarsely grind coconut,cumin,green chilli,turmeric and salt.
- Heat oil and add mustard and let it pop up.
- Add onion and saute till golden and the coconut mixture .
- Mix well for few seconds and add soaked dal.
- Sprinkle two tbsp water , cover and cook on low heat.
- When water is dry add the drumstick leaves and mix well.
- Cover and cook till the drumstick leaves are tender.
- Uncover and cook for some more time if there is excess water.
- And then serve with rice and sambar.