Amaranth leaves are easily available here in Indian stores and in farmers market in summer . One of the Kerala special recipe with this vegetable is cheera thoran . The recipe here is aloo and amaranth leaves and goes well with rice or roti.
Amaranth Leaves - 4 cups , washed well and chopped
Potato - 1 cup , cut in one inch cubes
Onion - 1/4 cup , chopped
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Whole red chili - 2 -3
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/8 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
- Make a coarse powder of cumin and red chilli.
- Heat oil and add the urad dal.
- When it turns golden add the potato and onion.
- Mix well and cook till onion turns golden around edges.
- Add the turmeric, cumin and chilli powder and mix well.
- Add the amaranth leaves and mix well.
- Cover and cook on medium flame till the water is evaporated.
- Add salt and mix well and you are ready to serve