For this months blog hop i cooked from cooksjoy.com . It is owned by Vardhini When i saw so many wonderful traditional indian recipes there i knew what i wanted to try . I decided to prepare the Pidi Kozhikottai.
Raw Rice / Paccha Ari - 1/2 cup
Toor Dal - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1/8 tsp
Whole Red Chili - 1
- Soak dal and rice separately for twenty to thirty minutes.
- Drain and keep aside for another 30 minutes.
- Take dal and cumin in a food processor or mixer.
- Pulse for a two times.
- Add rice and red chilli and pulse again for two to three times.
- The texture of the mixture should be coarse like rava or grits
Ghee - 1 tsp
Pure Hing/Asafetida - a pinch
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Chana Dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - a few
Fresh Coconut - 1 tbsp ,grated
Rice Rava - 3/4 cup
Water - 11/2 cups
- Heat a deep and add ghee and then hing
- To it add the chana dal and mustard.
- When mustard starts poping add the urad dal.
- When urad dal turns golden add coconut and water.
- When it starts boiling add the rice rava slowly and mix well.
- Reduce heat to the lowest level and cover and cook.
- When all the water is absorbed switch of the flame.
- When mixture is cool to handle make small kozhikottai.
- Steam the them for 15 minutes.
- Serve with chutney or chutney podi of choice.
Take a small portion of dough.
Roll it like a ball and give it a ablong shape by slightly pressing between fingers and palm.
Sending this to "Blog-Hop-Wednesdays" at tickling palates.