Ragi (Nachni) is a common ingredient in kannadiga kitchen. It is not used much in Kerala cooking so didn't grew up eating it. It is an acquired taste for me but now i like it . This recipe takes a little effort but its worth it.
Ragi Flour - 1 cup
Water - 3/4 cup
Ghee - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Ghee - 2 tsp
Hing - 2 pinch or 1/4 tsp if using store brought powder
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Pearl Onion - 5 , chopped
Green Chilli - 2 tsp , chopped
Ginger - 1 tsp, chopped
Curry Leaves - a few
Fresh Coconut - 2 tbsp , gratted
Special Equipment need :
Step 1 : Semiya Dough
- Boil water, salt and ghee together.
- Add the ragi flour little by little and mix well.
- Cook on low till the flour comes together like a dough.
- Cover and leave aside till the dough is cool enough to handle.
- Oil the hands and knead the dough well.
- Fill the dough in SEV PRESS.
Step 2: Semiya Preparation
- Oil the idli mold and make small iddiappam into each mold with SEV PRESS.
- Steam the iddiappam for 20 minutes and set aside to cool.
Step 3: Upma Preparation
- Heat ghee and add hing and mustard and let it pop.
- Add the onion , green chili ,ginger and curry leaves.
- When onion turns translucent add the iddiappam from step 2.
- Add the coconut and mix everything till the iddiappams breaks to semiya.
- Serve with coconut chutney warm or at room temp.