For authentic North Indian cooking i refer to Suvir Saran's " Indian Home Cooking ". Prepared this simple matar ke chaat and loved it. I used frozen peas , think would be even better with the spring fresh peas . It is a wonderful snack and can be served with rice or roti too. I have modified the recipe a bit according to my families taste.
Matar(Petite peas) - 1 , 10 ounce package
Ginger - 1/2 inch ginger , grated
Hot green chili - 2 , chopped fine
Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
Turmeric Pw - 1/4 tsp
Chili Pw - 1/2 tsp
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Roasted cumin Pw - 1 tsp or to taste (toast the cumin seeds in heavy pan till light brown ,cool and grind it to a powder. )
Whole red chili - 3
Cilantro - 1/4 cup chopped fine
Oil - 1 to 11/2 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and add hing and then cumin seeds and cook stirring until golden brown.
- Add whole red chili , ginger and green chili and cook stirring for one minute.
- Add the peas , chili and salt and cook till peas are tender.
- Switch of the flame and stir in lemon juice and toasted cumin seeds powder.
- And now you are ready to serve.