Chembu is a very common ingredient in Kerala cuisine. Because of scare of itching lot of people avoid cooking this vegetable. If you are sensitive to this veggie then you can wear gloves to peel and cut and then drop in tamarind water . Wash and cook in tamarind water to avoid the itchiness. This is a wonderful vegetable with a little bad repo. I happen to be someone who loves this vegetable in all forms even like it boiled with a green chili chutney and we eat this combo on fasting days when no grain is supposed to be eaten.
Chembu/Arbi/Colocasia - 1/4 pound ,peel and cut into chunks as in picture.
Onion - 1/4 chopped fine (Avoid it for upwas)
Green Chili - 4, slit into halves
Curry leaves - a few
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp (Replace it with Jeera for Upwas)
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Chili Pw - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
- Take the colocasia in a deep dish and cover it with water .
- Add salt, tumeric, green chili and a few curry leaves.
- Cook the colocasia till just fork tender.
- Drain the vegetable and keep aside.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds, let it pop.
- Add remaining curry leaves and onion to the oil.
- Cook onion till golden and add the chili pw.
- Mix well and add the drained vegetable.
- Mix gently and fry it well for at least five minutes.
- Serve with rice or roti.