Murrugaka has a very unique taste . Addition of it in any gravy makes it taste special. I love murrugaka in sambar ,theeyal and avial. Mom used to make murrugaka thoran too. Its a very popular vegetable in Kerala and is grown in most of the homes. Mom uses leaves and flowers for cooking too .She says its very good for you .Murragaka ella teega archa curry is my all time favorite.
Here a slightly north indian style use of murrugaka.
Aloo/Potato - 2 yukon gold , each cut into 4 pieces
Murrugaka/Drumstick - 1 , cut into 2 inch pieces
Onion - 1/2 cup , chopped fine
Tomato - 1/2 cup , chopped fine
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1/2 tsp
Chilli Pw - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Pw - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Pw - 1/8 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Water - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste.
- Heat oil and ginger garlic paste cook for a 30 seconds.
- Add onion and cook till golden.
- Add tumeric, chilli , coriander, and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Add tomato and cook till tomato is done and oils starts to separate.
- Add aloo and murrugaka pieces and salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook for another two minutes.
- Add water , cover and cook again on medium flame.
- Cook till aloo and murrugakka is tender.
- Serve with rice or roti and enjoy.