In indian homes we all cook dal and i use lot of vegetables in it and the inspiration is my mom. When we were kids the vegetables which we did liked to eat mom will cook it with dal :). And we will eat the dal without even knowing its there. In this recipe i have cooked the dal with lauki / gourd because my husband hates lauki ki sabzi so i now a days cook it with dal . Here is the one more recipe from the thali (platter) in last post.
Toor Dal/ Any split lentil - 1/2 cup
Lauki / Any vegetable - 1 cup , cut into small pieces.
Tomato - 1 cup , chopped
Garlic Cloves - 6
Hot green chilli - 4 or to taste ,chopped
Hing(optional) - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Oil/Ghee - 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
- Wash and cook the dal, lauki(any vegetable),tomato,garlic,chilli,turmeric,hing .
- I usually will pressure cook the dal for 2-3 whistles or for 10 minutes.
- When dal is very tender mash the mixture well with a ladel and add salt to taste.
- Keep the mixture back on fire to simmer.
- Heat ghee/oil and add mustard seeds when the start to pop add cumin.
- Cook for 30 seconds and add to the simmering mixture and switch of the flame.
- Serve the rice or roti