Dals (split pulses , lentils or legumes) are staple source of protein in Indian diet . Makes delicious soups. One day i read a post about Chana Dal and how good it is for people with Type I diabetes because of its very low glycemic index . Ever since i try too cook more with it . I have used spinach in this recipe but it is totally optional.
Chana dal - 1/2 cup
Urad dal - 1 tbsp
Spinach - 3 cups , chopped fine
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 1/2 tsp
Onion - 1/2 cup ,chopped fine
Tomato - 1 cup, chopped fine.
Cashewnuts - 8
orPeanuts - 1/4 cup
Green Cardamom - 2
Black Cardamom - 2
Cinnamon - 1 '' piece
Cumin - 1 tsp
Bay Leaf - 1
Turmeric Pw - 1/4 tsp
Red Chili Pw - 1 tsp
Coriander Pw - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Butter - 1 tbsp
1. Wash and soak chana dal and urad dal for 1 hour .
2. Heat oil and butter in a heavy saucepan or pressure cooker on medium flame.
3. Add cumin,bay leaf,cardamom, cinnamon and nuts and cook for a minute.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and onion and cook till onion is golden .
6. Add turmeric, red chili, coriander pw and cook for 30 seconds.
7. Add tomato, salt and cover and cook till oil separates .
8. Add spinach , dals and add 2 1/2 cups of water.
9. Cook till dals are well cooked.
10. I use pressure cooker and cook for 25 minutes or 3 whitsles.
12. Serve with rice or chappati with a lemon wedge and little butter.
I am sending this Delicious Dal Event @veggie platter .