My mom always made rice and urad dal muruku and it is one of my favorite snack till date. When Srivalli posted rice and sabudana murruku for this months ICC i was really exited to try a new version of my favorite snack .Rice Flour - 1 cups
Besan flour - 1/4 cup
Puttukadala/Fried Gram flour - 1/4 cup
Sago - 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Curd - 25 gms / 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp water
Chile powder - 2 tsp or as per taste
1. Soak sabudana in curd for 3 hrs.
2. Mix all the flours, chilli and salt together.3. Heat 50 gms oil(about 1/4 cup) and add to flour mixture.
4. Add the buttermilk soaked sago slowly.
5. Knead to a roti dough consistency adding water as required.
6. Keep a deep pan on heat and fill half of the vessel with oil.
7. Fill muruku press with dough.
8. Form the desired shape on an oiled cookie sheet/plate.
9. When oil heats to 340 F ,drop a few muruku one at a time into the oil.
10. Cook on both sides till golden on medium flame.
- If you don't have murruku press try cookie press with a piping nozzle.
- I used food processor to make dough.
- Ensure sago soaks in buttermilk well and is soft or else it will burst when you press it down in hot oil.
- Cook on medium to ensure even cooking.
- Fried Gram (Chutney dal) flour is made from fried channa dal that is available commercially.