Kale Junka / Kale cooked with chickpea flour and mild spices.

 Kale is something that my family don't like yet   so i keep trying new recipes . Just yesterday i had some of it lying in the fridge and thought of cooking it in Maharastrian style with besan and everyone seems to have liked it because they ate without any complaints.  If you ask me i myself don't like besan much :) .But since everybody else liked it i thought of recording the recipe .So here is my version of junka. 

Kale  - 4 cup , chopped fine
Hot Green Chilli - 4 , chopped fine
Onion - 1 cup , chopped fine
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Besan / Chickpea flour  - 4 tbsp
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Chilli Pw - 1 tsp
Amchur Pw -1 tsp
Cumin Seeds -1/4 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste

1. Cook kale with salt ,green chilli and turmeric till tender.
2. Drain and keep aside. (I pressure cook kale with no water)
2. Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Let it crackle.
3. Add onion , ginger garlic paste  and cook .
4. When onion turns translucent add besan and keep stirring.
5. Cook besan till the raw smell vanishes.
6. Add chilli pw and add amchur  and mix well.
7. Add kale and cook mixing now and then till mixture turns to crumble.
8. Serve with dal ,achar and roti.


i am sending this to yasmeen's cruciferious-challenge

19 comments:

  1. Sounds tasty, can u let me know what is kale :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kale is a green available here , kashmiri's cook with it in India i think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nisha , Can You please tell me also what is Kale and how does it looks like?

    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Nisha..Wow..this is creative..We use kale in soups..

    Love
    Kairali sisters

    ReplyDelete
  5. the dish looks very nice but can u tell me what is kale??
    Any way Nisha you couple of awards waiting in my blog for you.collect them

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely recipe :)... very delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. kale -chickpea flour combination looks delicious..sure will try this version.
    Kale is one of our favorite.First we thought the kale is not taste good but it have a good flavor like the spinach.I used to prepare the kale thoran(with coconut).If u get a chance pls visit this link
    http://pranithworld.blogspot.com/2010/01/kale-thoranporiyal.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear nisha
    some awards are waiting for u at my blog..Please stop by to collect them

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a new dish for me Nisha...looks very tasty and healthy one too...I will definitely try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried this once from some other blog. I didn't like it much. I will definitely give your version a try. I liked the ingredients you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great recipe for greens..never tried kale like this

    ReplyDelete
  12. great idea to use greens, must try this, we quite like jhunka at home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nisha,,kale fry looks delicious with chick pea flour dear...i hv nt tried kale in stir fry version sounds great dear,,sure will try out this,,Nisha. Thanks for stopping by in my blog dear,, thanks for informing the followers option. How to do to get link of my blog in others dear...i dont know how to do?..can u assist me?..

    ReplyDelete
  14. i never used kale..but it looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nisha,,thanks for ur answer dear..i tried to click "follow " option in my blog it showed the screen with sign in with "google" "yahoo" "twitter" dear,,it didnt showed the "more option".

    ReplyDelete
  16. Junka is a super tasty dish with kale.thanks for sharing with me :D

    ReplyDelete