My mom used to make this upma using idlies leftover from breakfast when we were kids .This used to be our evening snack and we used to love it . Sometime we would request her to make this for our lunch box using fresh idlies. But i must say a little dried out idlies :) i.e leftover idlies are best for this recipe. Now i make this in winter when sometimes my ildlies are not soft enough :). This upma can be made with leftover rice or day old bread too.
Leftover Idli / Rice/Bread - 2 cups ,cut into quarter inch cubes.
Onion - 1/4 cup ,chopped fine
Hot Green Chilli - 2 tsp, chopped
Curry Leaves - a few
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Idli Chutney Podi - 1 tbsp or Seasoning Pw of choice to taste
Lemon Juice - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
For Tempering :
Oil - 1 tbsp
Dry whole red chilli - 2
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Hing - 1/8 tsp
- Heat oil and add mustard and let it pop.
- Now add urad dal , whole red chilli , curry leaves and hing.
- When urad dal turns golden add onion and green chilli.
- Cook till onion turns golden , add tumeric and salt and mix well.
- Add idlies/rice/bread and chutney podi , lemon juice and mix well.
- And now you are ready to serve .
- This upma tastes good at room temperature too.