Growing up murrku was mine and my sisters favourite snack and my mom used to make it for all festivals and my mom murrku is famous in our family :). All my aunts and cousin requests her to come and supervise whenever it is prepared for weddings . Here is her famous recipe.
Urad Dal - 1 cup
Fresh Coconut - 1 cup and Cumin - 1/2 tsp (optional)
White Sesame - 2 tbsp
- Roast the rice powder in heavy bottom pan mixing well and making sure that rice does not change color.
- Rice powder can be roasted in oven too, spread the powder on a baking tray and bake at 275 F for 30 - 45 min.
- Pressure cook the dal with 2 1/2 cups of water till 3 whistles . Cool and mash the dal well.
- If using coconut grind coconut and cumin well with as little water as possible.
- Mix roasted rice ,cooked dal, salt and sesame well and make a dough and keep aside for 10 min.
- Make small murrka or chakli with the Murrk Press .
- Heat oil to 350 F in a deep pan .
- Drop murrka to the oil and Fry on both sides till it becomes golden .