Adai is a quick dosa from tamilnadu . Batter need not be fermented. Any vegetable or herb can be added to enhance the taste of batter. This is my favorite version of adai which have arrived at after a lots of trial and error.
Raw Rice - 1/2 cup
Moong Dal - 1/4 cup
Chana Dal - 2 tbsp
Toor Dal - 2 tbsp
Urad Dal - 2 tbsp
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Coconut - 1/4 cup,grated
Green Chili - a few to taste
Bottlegourd /lauki - 1 cup , grated
Curry Leaves - 1 spring , chopped
Salt to taste
Ghee or Oil - 1/4 cup
Ghee - 2 tsp , for tempering
Hing - 1/8 tsp
- Wash rice and dals very well.
- Soak them together for 3-4 hrs.
- Grind rice , dal, chili and ginger with a cup of water.
- Heat ghee and add hing and then curry leaves.
- Add the grated bottlegourd , coconut and salt.
- Cool the mix and add to the batter.
- Mix everything well and get ready to make adai.
- Heat a frying pan or skillet and pour a ladleful of batter.
- Spread the batter like a dosa /pancake.
- Pour a tsp of ghee around over the dosa.
- Once the dosa cooks on one side flip and cook the other side.
- And serve with any chutney of choice.