I love potato and when i came across this recipe with a unique seasoning mix "Pitali Podi" in Viji Varadharan's Samayal i had to try it and the result was yummy:).
Pitali Podi ( Modified recipe)
Coriander Seeds - 3 tbsp
Chana dal - 1 tbsp
Red Chilies - 4
Hing Powder - 1 marbled size piece
Dry Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
Oil - 1/2 tsp
- Heat oil and roast the hing and crush into small pieces.
- Roast each other ingredient individually to golden color.
- Blend into coarse powder and store in air tight container.
Potatoes - 5 medium sized , yukon gold
Onion - 1 medium sized , chopped fine
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Pitlai Podi - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Curry leaves a few
Oil - 4 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Peel the potato , dice each into 6 pieces.
- Boil with salt and turmeric till fork tender and drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil and pop mustard and add hing, curry leaves and urad dal.
- When dal turns golden add onion and cook till onion turns translucent.
- Add turmeric , potatoes and cook for a minute.
- Spread the pitlai podi alll over the potato and mix well light handedly.
- Cook till the potatoes are roasted to your liking.
- Serve as a side to rice or with roti.