Bhartha makes a good dip be it for chips or chappati . I had a eggplant lying around and charcoal grill was still hot after weekend chicken barbecue so threw it in. We all roast eggplant in oven but the grilled eggplant had a wonderful smoky flavor and makes the dip more interesting.
Purple Eggplant - 1 big
Spinach - 1 cup , chopped
Onion - 1/4 cup
Tomato - 1/2 cup, chopped
Peas - 1/4 cup
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Chilli Pw - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp (optional)
Turmeric Pw - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
1. Wash eggplant and prick few holes with knife.
2. Throw eggplant on a grill and cover and cook for 30 -40 minutes.
3. Or keep on a baking sheet and roast at 425 F for 30 -40 minutes.
4. Cool peel the skin and take the pulp and mash it with fork .
5. Heat oil and add ginger garlic paste and onion .
6. Cook till the onion turns golden.
7. Add the turmeric and chilli powder and cook for few seconds.
8. Add tomato and cover and cook till it can be mashed with a spoon.
9. Add spinach and peas and cook for 2 -3 minutes.
10. Add eggplant pulp and cook for another 2 minutes.
11. Add salt and garam masala and mix well and remove from flame.
12. Serve with chips or Chapati